Diatom (Diatomaceous Earth) is a 100% natural powder used on poultry and animals to eliminate internal worms and external parasites such as lice and fleas and to improve their general health. It can be used on all types of poultry as well as horses, pigs, sheep, goats, dogs and cats.Diatom and Poultry Shield can be purchased directly from Durham Hens or through our online shop.
How Diatom works
Diatom is a powder made from finely ground fossil particles which are microscopically sharp. These particles scratch through the waxy exoskeleton of insects causing them to dehydrate and die.
How to use Diatom
- To use this powder as a wormer you mix it in with their food - 5% is recommended and we only do this approximately every 3 months and whenever we buy in new stock
Is it safe?
- To kill and prevent chicken fleas you can either hold the hen upside down and apply under the wings or mix it into their dust bath and they apply it themselves - the powder sticks by static to their feathers
- To kill or prevent red mites, dust the ends of the perches regularly to stop the mites getting to the hens when they are perched at night and in the nest boxes where mites tend to hide (especially important for broodies as they often get attacked by mites). We do this everytime we clean out the hen house. If red mites are already a problem, hen houses should be thoroughly cleaned with Poultry Shield before using Diatom.
- Diatom kills other insects such as ants, beetles, woodlice etc. that crawl over it so you could use it on the floor if you have problems with any of these. It can even be used inside the home to eradicate insects e.g. behind kitchen cupboards.
Diatom is chemically inert so it is completely safe for eggs, meat and the food chain so there is no egg or meat withdrawal time. Diatom is approved by DEFRA and the Diatom that we sell is food grade. However, it is not for human consumption.
Other Benefits of adding Diatom to Animal Feed
- Diatom increases the digestability of food, so you save on feed costs
Pack sizes available450g, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg and 15kg.
- It helps to supply adequate minerals to promote better health, less sickness and faster growth
As well as Diatom, we also stock a range of cleaners, disinfectants and sanitisers designed for use with poultry e.g. Poultry Shield, Bi-oo-Cyst, Liquid Egg Wash, Hatch San and Bio-Dri. Please contact us for further details about any of these products.
Vine House Tel: 01388 731131
Nr. Tow Law Mob: 07763929686
Bishop Auckland Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Durham Hens Limited
VAT Registration Number 995021312, Company Number 07703899, Directors of Durham Hens Limited: A.J.Manchester, M.R.Manchester